Back Contact us

Second man dies from Congo Fever

WINDHOEK, 10 AUG (NAMPA) – A 63-year-old man who was exposed to Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) died in the Windhoek Central Hospital (WCH) on Wednesday.
The deceased’s identity has not yet been revealed.
This is the second death to CCHF in Namibia. The first was a 26-year-old man from the Omaheke Region who died in the WCH on 18 February 2017. He was bitten by a tick at the Kalahari Constituency in Omaheke Region, where he was employed.
CCHF, more commonly known as Congo Fever, is caused by a tick-borne virus and causes severe viral haemorrhagic fever outbreaks.
The virus is primarily transmitted to people from ticks on livestock or through human-to-human transmission or from close contact with blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected persons.
Ministry of Health and Social Services (MoHSS), Acting Permanent Secretary, Bertha Katjivena said in a statement on Thursday the latest victim was bitten by a tick about a week and a half ago.
According to Katjivena, the man from the Uukwandongo village in Okahao, Omusati Region had travelled to Windhoek to attend an event on 01 August 2017.
He was then admitted at a private hospital on 04 August with complaints of headache, fever, body aches, nausea and vomiting.
On Monday, the patient was transferred to an isolation unit in the WCH.
“Blood was sent to South Africa for testing and the results came out positive, meaning we can now confirm that the patient had CCHF,” she said.
The MoHSS is now on high alert and has started conducting investigations in the Okahao district, where the deceased came from.
All persons, including doctors and nurses, and people at the village are also being monitored daily, the statement reads.
“So far, three people who were in close contact with the deceased are admitted at the WCH for close monitoring.”
(NAMPA)
ANS/EKM/ND

© 2015 NAMPA. All rights reserved